5.19.2006

Another Terrorist Casualty: Blue Security

Just finished lunch and was browsing my RSS feeds.  I ran across the following article on Slashdot (amazingly – the article itself hasn’t been ‘Slashdotted’ as of 1:00pm my time):

If that doesn’t scare your pants off, please seek medical attention immediately.

But seriously… this IS scary stuff – and it isn’t the first time a piece of ‘critical infrastructure’ has been attacked by terrorists.  I sincerely hope the National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace is more than just politics, or else it’s only a matter of time before we see a September 11th type attack that does more than take out Blue Security and a few innocent bystanders.

So, aside from ranting – what can we do?  For starters we can educate those around us on how to secure their home/work PCs.  I blogged about this back in Dec. 2004, and continue to spend a few hours now and then making sure my friends/family have all the latest patches and up-to-date security software.  It might not seem like much, but if all of us ‘geeks’ secured 10 to 15 home PCs – that’s a lot less bots for the bad guys to use as ‘technology IEDs’.

On the work side there’s a lot we can do as well.  Since I’m a Microsoft-focused guy… here’s a link to the Ten Principals of Microsoft Patch Management.  And patch management isn’t just a Microsoft issue – last time I checked there were some nasty OS X, QuickTime, and Java, vulnerabilities that needed patching too.  Patching is only part of the solution… but that’s a topic for another post.

Have a nice weekend.